Last night as I was attempting to go to bed, I realized that there is a long list of things "they" (if anyone can tell me who they is, be my guest. Or as Flight of the Concords says, "Who's the man, I'm the man, you're the man. What makes a man a man?") failed to tell me before I tied the knot.
One of my favorite things about being married is waking up to Robert playing with my hair. I had always been told that waking up to your best friend was one of the best parts of being married. Agreed.
What they didn't tell me: The actual going to sleep part? Nigh impossible. Once Robert and I settle down, I realize that it is the first time in twenty-four hours that it is just Mr. husband and I. No distractions, no tasks to accomplish and nothing to do, but sleep.
And so for the first time during the day, we actually talk. We talk about our day, and crazy dreams, and how I want to be an ambassador, and own a restaurant, and be a pilot, a nurse, nutritionist, and sociology professor, what country we want to live in next, and what fruit trees we want to grow. Then we cuddle, and then I realize that my poor husband is getting tired, so I do everything I can to annoy Robert so we can have a few extra minutes, a few extra minutes to talk before I fall asleep to the steady beat of husbands heart.
picture via
But for me,
this is the best part about being a wife, and the part of day I will always look forward to.
[ "When the layers subside
and the fortune is empty
the pigment of our days will echo pure
and I will be nowhere
if not with you" ]
-taken from a plate I found at Antropologie

No comments:
Post a Comment