1. Adain & Anais Swaddle blankets.
If you look on any baby suggestion list you will find these blankets, and for a good reason! They are big enough to use for a nursing cover, tummy time mat and car seat cover, durable enough to swaddle, breathable (so I feel comfortable putting them in the crib while Calvin sleeps), absorbent enough to use as a spit up cloth and light enough to throw into the diaper bad without taking too much room. Bonus, they are really soft and get softer with each wash. (I was given Liam the Brave for my shower and they're pretty cute :)
2. Baby Bjorn Carrier One
This little gadget was actually one of Robert's only baby gear requests. He didn't want a sling/wrap because he didn't feel manly wearing it, and it's design isn't the greatest once the kiddo's get older.
A few years ago your options were really only the Bjorn original or the Ergo. Each had it's drawbacks. The original you could only wear in the front with the baby towards you or away from you. The Ergo you could wear on the front with the baby facing towards you (not out, though), but you COULD wear it on your back. Wouldn't in be nice if they could just combine the two? Oh wait. They did. Right when we got pregnant.
We use this all the time. Robert prefers this over the stroller so he can use his hands. We use it on walks, little hikes, in stores, and airports (it makes walking through an airport a complete breeze!). Calvin also really, really likes it. I think this is his favorite piece of gear.
3. Video Monitor
I also can't tell you how many time I have turned on my monitor to find Calvin with his legs or arms between the slats and trying to roll in his sleep. I have been so grateful that I can just periodically check on him through the monitor to make sure he is safe and sound. I went with the Summer Infant Monitor and have been very pleased! You can adjust/tilt/rotate with hand held portion of the monitor and it is wonderful!!
4. Secrets of the Baby Whisperer
This, folks, was a GAME CHANGER for us. I read the book while I was expecting and loved it. I bought the "Baby Whisperer Solves all Your Problems" as a companion book after Calvin was born and use it all the time. I am not really looking for a debate about Attachment Parenting vs. Structured Parenting, all I know is this has worked wonders for both us and Calvin. I know everyone is different and has their opinions, but we are a HUGE fan of this method.
There isn't any unnecessary crying done by Calvin, I know what he needs when he does get fussy and he has been sleeping through the night for almost 2 months now. The basic idea is very similar to Baby Wise, but I liked it a tad bit more because rather than reverting to the Cry It Out method, she has suggestions to help baby learn how to sleep on their own without a prop (rocking, sucking, swinging, etc). It does take hard work, but it's worth every little minute of the hard nights and days early on. It's cheesy, but I do feel like I was finally able to give that baby of ours a gift of learning how to sleep.
5. Nose Frida
Yes, I know exactly what you are thinking. "I suck the snot out of my child's nose? Claire, that is the NASTIEST". I thought the same exact thing when I first saw it. And then a month went by of Calvin's life and I felt like his runny nose kept getting worst and I never got anything out of it with the nose suction that they give you at the hospital. I finally decided to give it a whirl after I talked to a few people that had it. They all swore by it, and I do as well. Guys, it's the GREATEST. Super easy to use, very sanitary and I know I am actually clearing their nose out (because you can see it come out).
So there you have it. my top 5 favorite pieces of baby gear. I could make the list a lot longer with the strollers, car seats, diapers, and all that jazz; but, I wanted a simple and concise list of my baby must haves to share with those that have asked!





No comments:
Post a Comment