05 December 2011

DIY: Fabric Magnet Boards

This past weekend was a rather eventful weekend. 


First off: Saturday morning Robert and I were able to get our bountiful baskets! What was in it you may ask? A gajillion pounds of these little beauties: 


Okay, it was really only like three pounds. But what was I supposed to with three pounds of persimmons? A girl can only eat so much fruit. I did a little googling. Who would have thought, persimmon jam! {okay, it isn't that unusual. fruit= jam} We whipped up a batch. mmm, it's good. 

If any of you have 3 lbs of persimmons on hand, by all means, I would love to give you the recipe. But, I am assuming most of you have a more normal fruit on hand, so I'll save the blogging space. 

Second: 

WE ARE MOVING BACK TO VEGAS!

After possible internships in U of U, Boston, Rexburg, UCLA, and Nevada Medical School, Robert found an awesome internship in Las Vegas. He gets to do a part pediatric research internship,  part occupational internship, and he is thrilled about it! We will be living back in Vegas for the Winter semester, and are both stoked. {big city and no cold, I'm a happy camper}

Third:

DIY Fabric Magnet Board. A few weeks ago I came across a cute fabric magnet board! {the one above is almost an exact replica} It was an Etsy shop, selling them for $60. Um, ridiculous. I made mine for a measly $5. 

Materials:
- Sheet metal. You can get pre-cut sheet metal at a home store like Lowes, but it's a little pricey. I just ran to DI and got a cookie sheet for $1. 
-Hot Glue Gun
-Drill/ Hammer & Nail: With the metal I was using Robert was able to just hammer a hole at the top for the ribbon. If you are using the pre-cut sheet metal, you will need a drill.
- Fabric: It depends on how big your metal is, but you can get away with a 1/2 yard of fabric, no matter what size you do.
 -Ribbon


The process is rather simple, just time consuming.

Lay your metal over the fabric, and cut the fabric, leaving about 1" on each side.

I measured and marked for two holes at the top of the metal, then hammered the holes with a nail. {well,
Robert did that part}

Hot glue the fabric to the metal, making sure to NOT let the glue dry too quickly. We had to go about an inch at a time.

Use scissors to poke a hole through the fabric and pull the ribbon through, leaving enough at the top to hang!

3 comments:

  1. Happy Day for moving back to Vegas! I'm going to have to escape the Utah cold and come visit!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work Claire! Very handy! And the cookie sheet, great improvising.
    We are excited to have you back in Vegas.

    ReplyDelete